Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Christina Jackson R.I.P

Yesterday, Tuesday the 4th, was the funeral of my Nana. She died on Tuesday the 26th of Feb just weeks shy of her 100th Birthday. Today was I suppose what they call a humanitarian funeral, more of a celebration of her life as opposed to prayers and hymns. A short service in which family and friends heard a bit about my Nana's long life from her birth in 1909 and through the 2 World Wars to the advent of TV and Man Landing on the Moon etc... with a small pause for anyone wishing to say a silent prayer.
When I think of my Nana she's always seemed to be old to me, from being a toddler there's always been this white haired lady, it was nice to think about the great times we had as a family going on Holiday with her to the family Caravan in Whitby and my Nana and Grandad staying over at Christmas in the 70's. The funeral was a chance to see old faces of family and friends some of whom I haven't seen for years, and the get together afterwards with plenty of stories about family and my Nana.

Goodbye Nana you will be greatly missed by all !!

8 comments:

allen etter said...

My prayers go out to you and your family. She seems to have been an awesome lady, living that long and having lived through so much. You are blessed to have known a loved one with so many memories of the passing of time and life its self.


Having never met my grand mothers on either side of the Etter clan, I envy you knowing her. You are truly blessed to have shared her life's memories.

May she truly rest in peace and may you find peace in her memories.

Steve said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your Nana but her funeral sounded like a lovely occasion despite the reason for it. Best wishes.

Fraser Lovatt said...

What a lovely post about such a sad event! I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Andrew -- and thank you for sharing your memories with us.

Her life really did encompass the spirit of the 20th Century, and all those incredible events that unfolded. I love hearing first-hand accounts from people who were there to see events unfold around them; even at a distance the incidental details of real life are so precious and need to be preserved. Diaries and journals are important for the people who come after us, it’s great that you are sharing your life too. A hundred years from now, someone might want to know what it was like to work in the “early days” of media, or what it was like when we still had TV.

Michael Grant Clark said...

Really sorry to hear that Andrew. It sounds like she had a pretty full life though, and that's about the best anyone can hope for.

Niel Bushnell said...

Sorry to hear your news, but what an amazing life to have lived, the changes she must have seen. My last granparent died over 20 years ago and it bothers me that I wasn't old enough to appreciate them, ask them all the questions I should have. Celebrate her memory and write down what you can to pass onto your grandchildren.

Jim said...

My deepest condolences to you and your Family, Andrew.

Andrew Glazebrook said...

Thanks for all of the kind feedback on this ! :) It's weird to think that my Nana would have been 3 when the Titanic sunk, was 16 when Al jolson fist talked in the film The Jazz Singer, was 55 when Jon F Kennedy was assassinated and was 68 when Star Wars came out :)

Morrisminor said...

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like your Nan led a life well lived and loved by her family and to have experienced all those amazing historic events and challenges that spanned her years in this world!