Friday, December 14, 2007

Deckard's wife ?

Watching some of the extra's on the 5 disc set of Blade Runner has brought up some interesting things, one scene cut from the film shows Deckard looking down at a photo of himself stood with who I can only assume is his wife, what's interesting is it's a similar picture to the one that Rachel shows to Deckard that she says is of her and her mother.

Both pictures take place on a white porched house front. I think this was another definite clue that Deckard is a replicant. Ridley Scott once said that he was a replicant in the film, yet on the commentary track he's more ambiguous about the situation. I'm sure this scene was removed for being to obvious.

Although the picture can still be seen in the scene when Deckard is sat at the piano, just before he has the dream about the unicorn.

9 comments:

Niel Bushnell said...

A nice bit of detective work!

Steve said...

I've bought the 5 dics addition for my wife for Christmas (shhh) so shall look forward to checking all of this out!

Andrew Glazebrook said...

Are you sure you've bought it for your wife, or is it for yourself ?! :)

Steve said...

I'm very lucky in that my wife and I have similar if not the same taste in movies... *whistles innocently*

Matt Jones said...

Excellent BLADERUNNER insights-I too have it lined up for Xmas, can't wait to get stuck into the documentary.

Andrew Glazebrook said...

It seems like this DVD will sell so well they'll be doing another set for the 30th Anniversary after all :)

dylan said...

Hope so, Just watched the final cut and I wasn't impressed. Colours are pretty horrible and all the little tweaks are quite annoying. The main one that bugged me was the"amping up" of Deck's red eyes in the apartment. Looks very shoddily done and there was no need for it. Didn't like the removal of his bruise either, now he has a funny blurry cheek through the scene where he buys the drink. The lip synch was ok but you can see the rest of his face moving when his new lips have stopped. Think I'll stick to the old director's cut.

Andrew Glazebrook said...

Yeah I think most people have had a problem with the new colour's. In terms of calling it a 'Final Cut' there's hardly any changes from the last edition, I think it's more of a final attempt at fixing any faults that he thought the film had. Final Cut makes it sound like there's going to be editorial changes to the film.
I suppose he has given you the chance to view the version you like best.

Moonwatcher said...

One of my mate's at work said this new version was way too dark on his TV also,but otherwise he liked what they'd done with the film changes wise.